Friday, April 5, 2013

The Voices in Our Heads

Like most people, I am sure you have spent hours, maybe even days, wondering what goes through a crafter's mind days before a show. So as we prepare for our first show of the year, I decided to take a moment to share the voices in my head- the thoughts that just magically creep in while I am doing dishes and gazing out the window or when I find myself avoiding a project.

Brain
But wait! Since there are two of us, and I am not the only one experiencing brief moments of irrationality, in a rare, never before documented moment, we decided to share The Voices in Our Heads.
 
The following is a collection of the thoughts we have experienced while getting ready for the show. Some of the thoughts have occurred almost simultaneously, some have been reoccurring, and some thoughts have been shared, almost in a Folie à deux.
 
 
In terror, we have thought, 'What if we don't sell anything?' Then two seconds later thought,
'That's silly. Of course, we will sell something!'
 
Optimistically, we couldn't help but think, 'O.M.G. What if we sell everything and become millionaires?'  This thought, each time, was almost automatically followed by, 'Um, you must not be very good at math because even if you did sell everything, you still wouldn't have a million dollars.'
 
As we embrace but sometimes flee from our nerdiness, we couldn't help but ask, 'What if people laugh at us?' which was followed by 'That's almost a guarantee wherever we go.' If you have met us in person, you'd totally get this. You'd even laugh.
 
Three days before the show, I couldn't help but contemplate if I had time to add a few more items because I have this really great idea for new pins, etchings, paintings, necklaces... Fortunately, one of my voices won this battle and said, 'How about you finish the 12 other projects you spontaneously started yesterday?'
Part of our display
 
Panicked we have reminded ourselves to, 'Take a deep breath.'  Then ever so politely said,
'That therapy crap isn't going to work on me, I'll panic if I want too.'  
 
As we completed trial runs of our display, each of us have thought, 'Did I make enough stuff? Should I take 15 necklaces or 12? Should I take all the glasses or none?'
 
The last two thoughts, well, we wish we didn't have to share them, they're just so awful and we are still having a hard time dealing with their reality.


'Did the dogs really just rip open packaging and strew 16 handmade fabric flowers across the floor or have I officially started to hallucinate?'

and
 
'I didn't really just drop a finished, custom etched treat jar. No, No, I am just having a bad dream.'
 
Whatever you are doing, whatever you are working on, it's so easy to get caught up in the 'What ifs' but it's so important to remember to slow down and laugh a little, even if it is at yourself.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment