Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Rejection: Let's Talk About It

Rejection feels weird, it is uncomfortable, and it can challenge you.
 

Whether it’s artists markets, crafts shows, or boutiques, we are fortunate to live in a community where there are quite a few opportunities for artists and crafters. Becoming a vendor is as varied as the venues.  

Often, acceptance into shows is juried. In a jury selection, you fill out an application, send pictures of your work, as well as links to where your work can be viewed, and a biography. Next, a panel of judges review all applications and make their selections based on a predetermined criteria. As most venues only accept a limited number of applicants, you can imagine how tough the competition is especially when there are so many talented makers.

Recently, we applied for a few juried shows. While we were accepted into a few of the shows, we were not accepted into all of the shows. And well, no one likes rejection. NO ONE.

What do you do when you are rejected? How do you handle someone telling you that while your work is amazing, it is just not what they are looking for? How do you find a way to pick up the glue gun and glitter again?

Scott handled the rejection well, not even pausing for a moment, and then he moved on. I would like to say that one day I will be so lucky, but for now, I handled things a bit differently. First I swore I would never craft again. I whined. I childishly pushed my craft supplies around the table, and I even packed up my stash of glitter. Then a few minutes later, I laughed at myself, and maybe, I whined a little more.

Then I decided to do something with this ugliness, this rejection. I had, in some way, to accept the rejection. In doing so, I decided to look at the reasons why I craft or, really, do anything that I love.



Drawing is not my strength, but here I am trying something new.

I realize I craft because I love to make things. Whether it is matching random colors and prints or challenging myself to learn a new technique, I love the creative process. I love the invention of creating new pieces out of broken, discarded items. I love the excitement of finding vintage pieces at thrift stores or even at my grandma's house, knowing that I will find a way to repurpose these leftovers into something magical.


A customer showing off her bracelet 


I also craft to make others happy. It’s such an amazing feeling when a customer takes the time to message me on Facebook or etsy to tell me how much he/she loves their purchase. When someone chooses to buy one of my handmade items, I am amazed and humbled. When I am out running errands or even grocery shopping, I am always a little caught off guard when someone compliments my jewelry or handbag, but I am also thrilled.

 
 All of these reasons, in their simplicity, will keep me crafting and ready to take on new opportunities. Rejection, I'm not sweating it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment